POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding in ___ is like ___ : Re: Coding in ___ is like ___ Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding in ___ is like ___
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Feb 2010 04:38:02
Message: <4b87967a$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> One of the better ones I've seen.
>
> http://web.mit.edu/~axch/www/writing_rant.html

The one for C++ seems about right. All the others don't match my
experience at all. (E.g., since when does Java "always get the job done
eventually"? I've lost count of the number of programs I was unable to
finish because Java just makes it too difficult, lacks the necessary
feature, or the spec sheet says the feature exists but it's not actually
implemented!)

I'd say that Perl is like a tool that somebody wrote to solve the one
particular problem they were trying to solve that day, and then tried to
claim it was a general-purpose tool. It makes a small class of problems
really easy to solve, and everything else almost impossible. The whole
thing seems to be a steaming pile of ad hoc solutions with no unifying
form or structure. Kind of like learning English, but harder.

I'm not familiar with Ruby, Scheme, or Mozart. Of course I've heard of
all these things, but I don't know anything about them. (I started
reading a Ruby tutorial, but the random inconsistant syntax put me off.
And the ham.)

So anyway, since I'm sure you're all expecting it anyway... I'd say that
coding in Haskell is like doing highschool algebra. (In more ways than
one.) At first it seems weird and complicated. And then, assuming you
"get it", it suddenly seems really simple and easy and "obvious". And
then as you try to tackle harder problems, it starts seeming difficult
again...