POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : American vs. European government systems : Re: American vs. European government systems Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: American vs. European government systems
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Feb 2010 04:16:24
Message: <4b879168$1@news.povray.org>
>>   If that kind of law (ie. all handguns illegal, confiscated without
>> recompensation) was enacted in the US, it would most probably result in a
>> civil war.

Except that a couple of dreaming idealists with pistols and shotguns
aren't going to last 7 seconds against the entire might of the US
military, the largest army on the face of God's Earth.

Really, such arguments sound very, very silly to me. The US government
can do what ever the hell they like, and there's really not especially
much the US people can do about it. Just like every other country on Earth.

> It just wouldn't get enforced. About 70% said of soldiers
> they wouldn't.

Seems plausible.

> But yeah, this is the whole "we don't trust our government here" that
> also drives having juries and etc etc etc.

Now, see, if you don't actually trust the government, then you accept
that you've already lost. The government has so much power that if they
want to get rid of you, they *will* get rid of you, and there's nothing
that you as an individual can possibly do about it.

It's like companies who don't trust their sysadmin. Uh, guys, you
realise that the sysadmin is GOD, right? They can do absolutely
ANYTHING, and you can't stop them. So you'd *better* make sure they're
trustworthy before you hire them!

> That's why all the arguments here over whether a firearm is appropriate
> for hunting game or something like that are simply smokescreens.

Well, I wouldn't want to live on a country where it's legal for any
random crazy person to own a gun. Not that all gun owners are crazy, you
understand - just that it only takes one of them to be crazy to cause a
whole heap of trouble...

Face it, there are already people driving cars which you really wouldn't
want behind the wheel.