POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding in ___ is like ___ : Re: Coding in ___ is like ___ Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding in ___ is like ___
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Feb 2010 23:06:45
Message: <4b8748d5$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   But is that kind of message the rule or the exception?

The error messages are all good, but I usually don't get an error at compile
time because the IDE puts a red squiggly under compile-time errors and a
green or blue squiggly for warnings, as you type. The IDE is really an order
of magnitude better than anything else I've ever used.

That was just surprising, because MS anticipated that someone would do that
and special-cased the parser just to handle a common error message.

>   And it's not like gcc didn't have similar-sounding error messages:
> error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'x' with no type

I've gotten a few of those and not understood them, actually. I don't
remember what I had, but having something more along the lines of "you
forgot an #include" would be a better error message, I think. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not