POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : American vs. European government systems : Re: American vs. European government systems Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: American vs. European government systems
From: Warp
Date: 25 Feb 2010 18:28:15
Message: <4b87078f@news.povray.org>
> But yeah, this is the whole "we don't trust our government here" that also
> drives having juries and etc etc etc.

  You know, sometimes I feel that this kind of sentiment should be more
prevalent in Europe as well. It sometimes seems that European governments
get way too cocky and think they can pass whatever laws they want and
restrict people's freedom in whatever way they want (just not too fast;
people accept changes more easily if they happen slowly) and all citizens
will just submit. Sadly, they are right.

  (Of course not everything is right in the US either. For instance,
a private company suing an individual for 2 million dollars because she
copied a couple dozen of songs, and *winning*, is just wrong. There's
absolutely no sense of proportion between the severity of the crime and the
punishment. It's not *that* bad here, but we are quickly getting there.)

--
                                                          - Warp