POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding in ___ is like ___ : Re: Coding in ___ is like ___ Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding in ___ is like ___
From: Warp
Date: 25 Feb 2010 17:02:44
Message: <4b86f384@news.povray.org>
> One of the better ones I've seen.

> http://web.mit.edu/~axch/www/writing_rant.html

  It's funny how everybody keeps repeating the same mantras about C++,
yet I don't experience them myself. It must be a different C++.

  I *honestly* can't remember when was the last time I got a segmentation
fault in a C++ program of mine. Maybe sometimes it happens, but really,
really rarely. I'd say that during the past year I might have got perhaps
one segmentation fault.

  Memory leaks? *That's* a really, really long time. I'd estimate 10 years
maybe?

  Out-of-bounds access is a lot easier to get, especially since off-by-one
mistakes are very easy to do (regardless of the language you are using,
at least if it's an imperative one). Don't remember the last time I had
to actually seriously hunt for one, though.

  Well, maybe it's just me. Since everybody keeps repeating the same mantras
then it must be true.

--
                                                          - Warp