POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More failure : Re: More failure Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More failure
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Feb 2010 05:04:27
Message: <4b84f9ab$1@news.povray.org>
>> Ah. You've worked for my company then? The company where the entire
>> management staff were hired on their ability to spout
>> impressive-sounding power-words rather than actually, you know, manage
>> things?
>
> Why do you assume spouting impressive-sounding power-word is not a big part
> of managing things?

If you're a salesman, being able to sound impressive is probably very
important.

If, on the other hand, your job is to make strategic decisions on how to
run the company's UK site, then the ability to spout enough BS to
convince management that the current disaster somehow isn't your fault
MAY allow you to hang on to your job, but will do nothing to prevent you
making mistake after mistake.

Management *does* require different skills. Being able to make things
look better than they are is only a very small part of that. A much,
much bigger part is

- Having some clue how the thing you're in charge of actually operates.

- Knowing what options are open to you.

- Understanding what impact your past decisions have had, and having
some idea what impact future decisions could have.

None of these have anything at all to do with impressive talking.

And yet, management consistently hire managers who talk with arrogant
over-confidence and promise them the Earth and the stars out of the sky,
rather than somebody who has a clue.