POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More failure : Re: More failure Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More failure
From: Warp
Date: 23 Feb 2010 19:01:59
Message: <4b846c77@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:

> >   This causes for many competent people, people who could actually boost
> > the productivity of the company quite significantly, to be dismissed, and
> > also for incompetent people to get hired, for the sole reason that they
> > happened to convince the interviewer.

> Ah. You've worked for my company then? The company where the entire
> management staff were hired on their ability to spout
> impressive-sounding power-words rather than actually, you know, manage
> things?

  No, but I have heard of actual cases where people with basically no
programming experience have been hired as programmers simply because of
incompetent job interviews. (Apparently these people think that they
could secure the job first, and learn the programming part later because,
you know, programming is easy. Any kid can do it, so why not them?)

  This was especially true in the early 90's, where claiming that you know
how to write computer program automatically made you a guru in the eyes of
management and other people in charge of companies (and who knew absolutely
nothing about how computers work). People in charge have probably wisened
up a bit nowadays, at least in average, but I'm sure it still happens quite
a lot.

  The problem with competent programmers, on the other hand, is that not
very surprisingly they tend to lack in social communication skills, which
makes them look bad in job interviews. Even if they would be more than
perfect for the job and would greatly boost the productivity of the company,
they could easily be dismissed because they can't handle the interview
process very convincingly.

--
                                                          - Warp