POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Photos to 3D : Re: Photos to 3D Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photos to 3D
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 23 Feb 2010 12:01:56
Message: <4b840a04$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> but I believe the term you're looking for would more accurately be
>> called "bundle adjustment".
>
> I looked at this a bit. It looks way more complicated than what I
> remember, given that one entered all the points by hand. It was just a
> mess of a few linear equations, really, IIRC.  I think they were just
> using surveying techniques (basic triangulation) more than anything
> sophisticated that could make allowance for different cameras and
> unknown points of view.
>
> I'll see if I can find old BYTE magazines online or something. :-)

Ahh, yeah, if you know where the cameras are it's a much simpler
problem.  I'd tend to call that just "triangulation", but perhaps the
search term "epipolar geometry" would be useful to you as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epipolar_geometry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation_(computer_vision)

If you can't find the reference it probably wouldn't be too hard to
derive this one from scratch, for instance by converting the camera
points to lines (rays) and then solving for their point of intersection.
  If you want something a tad more general (any number of cameras and
better handling of errors) I think the main equation in the bundle
adjustment article becomes solvable with plain old linear least squares
if you fix the camera positions.

Good luck!