POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a book... : Re: I need a book... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:20:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a book...
From: scott
Date: 22 Feb 2010 10:40:04
Message: <4b82a554@news.povray.org>
> What I really wanted was to be able to do it on a chip and then have it
> process sound real-time.  That would have helped me see the application
> much more clearly.

If you have a fast enough computer and use a fast enough language you should
be able to do some pretty funky stuff on your home PC with the line/mic
input and the speaker output of your sound card.  I would recommend using
C++ and the ASIO driver/protocol - it's really fast (very low latency) and
easy to code for.

As an aside, I looked into this recently because my transmitter for a radio
controlled helicopter outputs a PWM signal that can be connected to the PC's
audio input.  I tried to process this data using the standard Windows API
calls for recording audio and then DirectSound, but they were *way* too slow
(when trying to control a helicopter, even a 200 ms delay on the controls
makes it very hard to control, I was seeing more like 500 ms).  I found the
ASIO drivers and it worked perfectly with seemingly instant response time,
now I can use the RC simulator with my own controller!