POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a book... : Re: I need a book... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a book...
From: Tom Austin
Date: 22 Feb 2010 08:47:45
Message: <4b828b01$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/20/2010 3:11 PM, Chambers wrote:
> ....on real world applications of calculus, specifically one that covers Fourier
> and Laplace transforms.
>
> I've managed to squeak by in my class, but our text is theory-only, and our
> instructor is... not very helpful.
>
> What I'd really like is something that explains the theory briefly (more as a
> recap), then shows real world situations where the theory can be applied.
> Hopefully something at least mildly entertaining to read, but that might be
> asking for a bit much :/
>
> Does anyone have some suggestions?
>
> ....Chambers

Just like what I had in school - professor was a brain on feet, but no
practicable applications really shown or taught.

As you probably already know, DSP systems use the transforms a lot and
can actually be quite fun.

We did type a few transforms into MATLAB and get to hear what it did to
a sound file, but little more.

What I really wanted was to be able to do it on a chip and then have it
process sound real-time.  That would have helped me see the application
much more clearly.