POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Viewing frustum question : Re: Viewing frustum question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Viewing frustum question
From: scott
Date: 22 Feb 2010 06:17:09
Message: <4b8267b5@news.povray.org>
>> Typically, the perspective transform is defined such that the resulting
>> z-coordinates fall in a suitable range (e.g. [0,1]). Clipping can then be
>> performed without knowledge about the original clipping planes.
>
> I see. So there's extra information, but it might be implicit. Interesting
> approach.

Yes, the 3D hardware is usually programmed to clip when Z is outside a
certain range.  It is then up to you (the programmer) to decide how you map
real world coordinates to this range, and yes you can do it with just a 4x4
matrix.

DirectX has a helper function to create such a matrix for you:

http://tinyurl.com/yg5z9t7