POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Photos to 3D : Re: Photos to 3D Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photos to 3D
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Feb 2010 18:28:33
Message: <4b81c1a1$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> The technique used by Photosynth is called "structure from motion".

Thanks, but I was thinking more of a technique where you already know which
points on the image are also on other images, rather than where you have to
deduce them.  For example, I could take a few images of a simple cubistic
object, the point out "this point is the top left corner of the doorway in
this photo, and that point is the top left corner of the doorway in that
photo".  I saw an article long ago about that but didn't learn the math.

> actually useful for cases (such as described in the video, to its
> credit) where you're taking all the photos yourself and thus can go back
> and get more to fill in any areas where you missed.

Yeah, I gathered that from his 425 photos of that one little pile of rocks. :-)

> get too excited, there's a reason why you haven't seen any major demos
> of getting 3D models from Photosynth yet.

I just thought it was cool. :-)  I like easy ways to get models.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not