POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That's got to be one of the stupider design choices I've seen : Re: That's got to be one of the stupider design choices I've seen Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That's got to be one of the stupider design choices I've seen
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Feb 2010 16:04:45
Message: <4b819fed$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I could repeat myself and once again mention that Haskell allows a
> numeric literal to represent any possible number type,

Yeah. Lots of languages do that.  Just not C#.

Altho I was amused when I tried a header like

   public void xyz(float a, float b, float c = 0.25) { ... }

and the error message pointed at the = and said "default values not allowed."

Not just "syntax error" or ") expected" or something, but a special case for
the syntax error being an "=" followed by a literal.

> More irritating still is the fact that Haskell has a special notation
> for writing lists, but it only works for lists. If you want to
> initialise an array, you have to write the initialiser as a list; how
> dumb is that?

It's hard to do a good job without the equivalent of read macros.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not