POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : radiosity changes in 35a : Re: radiosity changes in 35a Server Time
3 Jul 2024 15:32:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity changes in 35a
From: Alain
Date: 21 Feb 2010 13:23:27
Message: <4b817a1f$1@news.povray.org>

> It was mentioned in another thread that beta 3.7 treats radiosity differently.
> How has it changed, or where can I find information on that? Of the greatest
> importance to me, is how radiant intensity calculated for radiosity is
> influenced by diffuse and ambient settings (both global and object).

Mostly, all object must have ambient set to zero unless they are to
actualy emit light. This have not changed since radiosity was introduced.

Diffuse determine how an object will affect it's surrounding depending
on the illumination it receives. No major changes from previous versions
in the basic principles.

The main differences is in HOW the sampling is actualy done and the
multi-threaded capability allowing you to benefit from multicore CPUs
and multiple CPUs.
Also, some radiosity settings work a little diferently in the beta.

/Most/ radiosity should render the same as with version 3.6.

For all radiosity scenes, whatever the version used, you should have:
#default{finish{ambient 0}} early in your scene. Best place: before any
#include and #declare of texture and material.

Seting ambient_lights 0 or some very small value is NOT something to do,
as it will screw things whenever you have some ambient light source.
The purpose of that setting is to tint the ambient component of the finish.

Then, check any include and alter them so that they don't set any
ambient unless the finish obviously should emit light, as the Luminous
finish.

Alain