POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New computer... Wish me luck : New computer... Wish me luck Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  New computer... Wish me luck
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 16 Feb 2010 10:29:01
Message: <4b7ab9bd$1@news.povray.org>
I pulled the trigger, and finally ordered my new computer components.  I did
quite a bit of research, but of course I'm still nervous about putting it
all together.

I pretty much bought everything just like I said in my last post, but for
anyone interested, here are the specifics.  Ordered from newegg.com.

1 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual
Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Retail
1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
1 x MSI N250GTS Twin Frozr 1G GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express
2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail
1 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1 x ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
1 x VANTEC TF12025 120mm Case Fan - Retail
1 x LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower
Computer Case - Retail
1 x Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V
version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC
"compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Retail
1 x Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
Model BX80605I7860 - Retail
1 x Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler - Retail

This is the largest single upgrade I have ever done, that did not require
buying an actual new computer (meaning an HP, Dell, etc.)  Actually, I
haven't bought a new computer pre-assembled since I bought a 386-25MHz back
in 1990.  I'd buy a new CPU/mobo/RAM or whatever, but keep my old case,
graphics card, hard drive, etc.  But this time, the only thing I'm planning
to keep is my DVD drive and my monitor (1080p).  So, future upgrades will
likely be more RAM, more HD space, and probably Blu-Ray at some point.

Hopefully, all of the components will arrive by Friday, and I'll probably
have the thing put together late that night.  With luck, it will all work
together.