POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : memory problem with radiosity : Re: memory problem with radiosity Server Time
6 Jul 2024 08:05:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: memory problem with radiosity
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Feb 2010 00:43:21
Message: <4b7a3079$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/15/2010 8:08 AM, Alain wrote:

>>> Interesting, I had no idea this was possible. Actually though, I
>>> believe it is
>>> probably better to leave it alone. It's probably there to allow better
>>> real-time
>>> performance for time critical apps.
>>>
>> As a rule, usually is. Windows will try to page, even if it *has*
>> sufficient system memory available, due to how it loads/unloads things
>> it doesn't need immediately. And, you run into major issues "if" you
>> don't have it and hit the memory limit.
>>
>> About the only thing its good for, if you have the system memory, is to
>> wipe it with a reboot (after turning it off), run a *detailed*
>> defragger, which consolidates files properly (most won't), then put it
>> back, and restart. This causes the original to be removed, and a new one
>> to be created, contiguously, at the end of the high end of the
>> partition. I doubt 7 is any better than any other version has ever been
>> at this, so **eventually** the page file gets so screwed up that
>> everything runs like crap. Killing the file, consolidating everything,
>> then restoring it is the most effective solution, but if you have enough
>> free space, there are 1-2 things that *specifically* defrag the page
>> file, during startup, and before its in use.
>>
>> Otherwise, you could turn it off in Windows, but, as I said, Windows
>> doesn't like you doing it **at all**.
>>

> Never let windows complete control over the page file, and don't leave
> it on the same partition as windows.
> One of the best way to manage it is to create a dedicated partition with
> nothing else on it, then to hide that partition.
>
> If you have more than one hard drives, create a drive leter less
> partition as the first partition on each drives and make those contain
> your page file. It should be the first thing done on any new system.
>

> Alain
Hmm. Interesting idea, actually. I fowled up and made a mini-partition
on mine, thinking it was like 98, and some stuff would be easy to shift
some place else. If I ever manage to find something that can nuke the
Fedora partitions I never use, I can make one for it out of that (its a
virtual partition, so half the damn tools a) don't recognize it or b)
know how to delete it...)

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {