POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Brain fail : Re: Brain fail Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brain fail
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Feb 2010 00:36:43
Message: <4b7a2eeb$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> I see.  I had asked partially since if rule 30 isn't Turing complete it
> provides a nice counterexample to the "it's a CA with non-trivial
> behavior so it's probably Turing complete" viewpoint (which you were
> also arguing against).

Fair enough.

> I swear I'd read a nice blog post about this at some point but I cannot
> seem to find it again.  As far as I remember the main gist was "you have
> to be careful with the initialization since it's possible to combine two
> non-Turing complete components and get a Turing complete result"

Yes, that was my concern. In particular, a TM with an infinite pattern on
the initial tape isn't obviously as simple as a similar TM with a finite
pattern on the initial tape. It's not clear to me whether the same is true
of a CA that does an infinite computation at every step to start with.

How much of the human's understanding of what the pattern means is really
involved? How much of the infinite pattern being unimportant is just the
human's understanding that "oh, that's just the clock pulse". How much of
that infinite complexity is dismissed only because of "understanding" which
is specifically denied to the formalism?

For example, a TM with any finite initial pattern on the tape can be
trivially turned into a finite TM with a completely blank tape to start,
simply by prepending a series of instructions to write the appropriate
pattern to the tape. This isn't true of an infinite pattern, even if it's
repetitive. It *is* true of a CA, but you'd have to change the rule of the
CA in the middle of evaluation, and there's no obvious way in the formalism
to do that, since CAs don't keep any sort of state (corresponding to the
head position and state number) outside the actual "tape." I just never got
into the whole deal enough to know the answers to such questions, and I'm
not sure it even makes a difference. It would be interesting to know whether
there's a proof or a disproof of whether an infinite repetitive initial tape
for a TM makes a difference in what you can compute.

> Ahh, I *think* this is what I was remembering:
> http://forum.wolframscience.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1472

That seems to be talking about TMs, not CAs. Two different beasts when
talking about infinite tapes, since a CA does infinite computation at every
step, while a TM does not.  I'm also almost certain that the Rule 110
universal machine starts with a repeating pattern (other than the "program")
so would fall under the "computational properties of linear cellular
automata on configurations that differ from spatially periodic ones in only
finitely many places" rule.  Since the author seems to claim (in the
abstract) that "is the same on these configurations as on the space of
finite configurations" then it would seem they think they proved that Rule
110 is indeed turing complete in spite of needing infinite initialization.

The 2,3 TM is interesting only in that it's tiny. But if you're going to
argue that simple systems can make really complex results, the fact that a
2,3 TM can do so doesn't seem that much more surprising than a 3,5 TM for
example.  Especially since all the TMs require sophisticated interpretation
of their results to support any of these proofs - you already have all kinds
of encoding issues outside the TM to interpret what's on the tape to figure
out the isomorphisms with other machines.

I think Wolfram's wanking with his smallest-TM contests in a way that
doesn't really add anything to his basic premise.

Interesting links tho. I'll have to read them in my copious spare time. ;-)

> As near as I can tell, maybe it's best to view rule 110 as "weakly
> universal" since the universality proof requires an infinite (and AFAIK
> non-repetitive) initialization?  That seems to convey the idea that it
> has some interesting properties with respect to Turing completeness, but
> that it's not quite the full-blown form of Turing completeness you'd
> normally expect.

Sure. I just didn't find it interesting, given there *are* CAs that are
known to be (and easily provable to be) turing complete. OK, so now there's
a linear one. So?  Only Wolfram crowing about how trivial it is made it
interesting, and I didn't consider it to be particularly trivial if it
needed an infinite amount of initialization. The Conway CAs that are indeed
turing complete have initial states that are scaled relative to the size of
the turing machine they're emulating, so the fact that they're "big" in some
absolute measure isn't all that interesting. They're still only 4 rules, at
absolute worst a 512-range CA instead of a 256-range (or was Wolfram's a
128-range?).

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do