POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Brain fail : Re: Brain fail Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brain fail
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 15 Feb 2010 23:47:51
Message: <4b7a2377$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> Are you *sure* that rule 30 is the right CA here?
>
> No, actually. I thought that sounded wrong, and 110 sounds much more
> like what I remember, but I wasn't about to dig out the 30 pound tome to
> check. :-)

I see.  I had asked partially since if rule 30 isn't Turing complete it
provides a nice counterexample to the "it's a CA with non-trivial
behavior so it's probably Turing complete" viewpoint (which you were
also arguing against).

>> and there was a later proof by Matthew Cook establishing this provided
>> proper tape initialization and processing is done.
>
> Right. There's a proper proof *providing* the initialization of the
> first state is done. That's what I'm not sure is valid. I'm not saying
> it isn't, but I'm not convinced it is. AFAIR, the definition of a turing
> machine requires anything past a finite initial portion of the tape to
> be all initialized to the same symbol.

I swear I'd read a nice blog post about this at some point but I cannot
seem to find it again.  As far as I remember the main gist was "you have
to be careful with the initialization since it's possible to combine two
non-Turing complete components and get a Turing complete result"

Ahh, I *think* this is what I was remembering:

http://forum.wolframscience.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1472

As near as I can tell, maybe it's best to view rule 110 as "weakly
universal" since the universality proof requires an infinite (and AFAIK
non-repetitive) initialization?  That seems to convey the idea that it
has some interesting properties with respect to Turing completeness, but
that it's not quite the full-blown form of Turing completeness you'd
normally expect.