POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Brain fail : Re: Brain fail Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brain fail
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Feb 2010 22:53:37
Message: <4b7a16c1$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> Are you *sure* that rule 30 is the right CA here?

No, actually. I thought that sounded wrong, and 110 sounds much more like
what I remember, but I wasn't about to dig out the 30 pound tome to check. :-)

> and there was a later proof by Matthew Cook establishing this provided
> proper tape initialization and processing is done.

Right. There's a proper proof *providing* the initialization of the first
state is done. That's what I'm not sure is valid. I'm not saying it isn't,
but I'm not convinced it is. AFAIR, the definition of a turing machine
requires anything past a finite initial portion of the tape to be all
initialized to the same symbol.

Sorry for any confusion.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)