POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Most up to date landscape generator ? : Re: Most up to date landscape generator ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:29:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most up to date landscape generator ?
From: Alain
Date: 15 Feb 2010 16:32:52
Message: <4b79bd84$1@news.povray.org>

>> There is no problem using the same mesh 1000's of times in a scene, but
>> 1000 identical trees together is not realistic.
>
> Yes, that's why I turned to Povray in the first place to have some random seeds
> anywhere I can with the same definitions. One thing that would be nice would be
> if the generated trees can be used to grow other plants upon them like what the
> following ivy generator sofware does:
> http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/

Ivy Generator can, and have been used to, do exactly that.

> Only, it would be so much better if it could work without the need of finished
> meshes but take advantage of Povray syntax and be generated at render time only
> over procedurally generated trees without intersecting them.
>
> Has there been any experiment with such growth algorythms in Povray?

Generating some object/entity at render time only? Not doable. I realy
don't think that any renderer, anywhere, can do such a thing without
cheating a lot.
Everything visible is created at parse time.
Any thing that interact with any object will need that object defined
beforehand.

There is the way of postprocessing, but that poses other problems, like
having concistent shadows and illumination, not to mention the case of
reflections or refractions.

For a growth algorythm, you mentioned Ivy Generator that is exactly
that. And, as you said, it relies on having predefined object(s) defined
as mesh to interact with.

Alain