POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : memory problem with radiosity : Re: memory problem with radiosity Server Time
6 Jul 2024 07:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: memory problem with radiosity
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Feb 2010 22:12:03
Message: <4b78bb83$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> so **eventually** the page file gets so screwed up that
> everything runs like crap.

Easiest is to simply create the file at a fixed size, and don't let it grow
or shrink. It'll be created contiguously if you have one spot big enough for
it. It's when you say "Let Windows manage it" that it tries to grow and
shrink it on demand. If you have 30G free space, allocating a 5G contiguous
swap file shouldn't be problematic.

> Otherwise, you could turn it off in Windows, but, as I said, Windows
> doesn't like you doing it **at all**.

I don't know. I've run for years without a page file and never had a
complaint, on both Win32 and Win64. As long as you have enough memory, it's
really not a problem.

This really isn't the forum for this discussion, tho.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do