POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : memory problem with radiosity : Re: memory problem with radiosity Server Time
6 Jul 2024 07:41:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: memory problem with radiosity
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Feb 2010 16:36:57
Message: <4b786cf9$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> No, that does not turn of virtual memory, it turns of the page file. The
> page file is part of the a common virtual memory implementation, but the
> most important part is that you have a non-linear physical memory (hence
> the "virtual" in "virtual memory").

That would be the "virtual addressing" of which I was speaking. "Virtual
addresses" don't match real addresses. "Virtual memory" doesn't match real
memory.

 > In effect, disabling the page file
> simply means the system cannot move writable memory out to disk. The
> system still can move all read-only memory to disk, such as code and
> static data (i.e. resources) loaded from application and library files.

This is true. And of course the application still has the ability to map
files and use page faults to read and write files. But if you're trying to
limit how much memory a program allocates in order to reduce page thrashing,
turning off the paging file will be sufficient. If you don't have enough
memory to hold POV-Ray's executable code entirely in RAM, chances are you
need more RAM anyway.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do