POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay<-->Moray help request : Re: POVRay<-->Moray help request Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay<-->Moray help request
From: Alain
Date: 14 Feb 2010 13:00:36
Message: <4b783a44$1@news.povray.org>

> Alain wrote:

>>> So that's how it works, Thanks Alain
>>>

>> That's the way it works for any ini files,not just POV-Ray's ones.
>> It's also the rule for shortcuts and registry entries to files and
>> applications.
>>
>> It goes back to the good old days of DOS and the 8.3 naming convention
>> when spaces where not allowed at all in any file name.
>>

> in paths. There is something lurking in the back of my mind for when you
> use concat.

Simple, a single "\" is used as an escape character. This allow you to
use "\n" to isue a line feed for example. Thus, any single \ not
followed by a valid operator will be ignored. Worst, it can cause some
unforseen behaviour or make some characters disapears.

There is a problem with some applications. Some applications
automaticaly change any "\" to "\\", and when they found a "\\", dumbly
change it to "\\\\", then to "\\\\\\\\" if you edit the same entry a
second time...

Alain