POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : memory problem with radiosity : Re: memory problem with radiosity Server Time
3 Jul 2024 17:13:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: memory problem with radiosity
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 14 Feb 2010 01:54:00
Message: <4b779e08@news.povray.org>
On 14.02.10 03:30, Ken Willmott wrote:
> Thanks for the comments... there are good suggestions there. I prepared a test
> file so that any of you could try it out. I verified that both OS and beta are
> running 64 bits. I discovered that there are problems even with radiosity
> commented out. Namely, CPU usage is not 100%, and control does not come back to
> the GUI after the render is complete.

The low CPU usage is likely related to the use of crackle, which requires
some data to be shared between threads. This in turn creates dependencies
between render threads. The performance of multi-threaded ray tracing
exclusively depends on the independence of render threads.

Since crackle also happens to be one of the less suitable functions for
integration performed to render it is an isosurface, it takes very long time
to find intersections with the isosurface involving a real lot of crackle
pattern evaluations. The POV-Ray statistics likely show this.

Freeing memory in this state, for various reasons, may also take quite some
time. Again, the statistics may provide some indication on what is going on.

	Thorsten, POV-Team