POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : memory problem with radiosity : Re: memory problem with radiosity Server Time
3 Jul 2024 16:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: memory problem with radiosity
From: Alain
Date: 13 Feb 2010 23:05:04
Message: <4b777670@news.povray.org>

> Thanks for the comments... there are good suggestions there. I prepared a test
> file so that any of you could try it out. I verified that both OS and beta are
> running 64 bits. I discovered that there are problems even with radiosity
> commented out. Namely, CPU usage is not 100%, and control does not come back to
> the GUI after the render is complete. With radiosity (using default values)
> enabled, the task levels off at 7.89GB. I think it is only because I simplified
> the scene. Many minutes elapse before it releases the memory, and returns
> control (or I lose patience and kill the app). Here is the source code:

The use of the crackle pattern, in any way, result in more memory load.
Anyway, it should not acount for the load you are seeing.

It won't affect your memory problem, but will affect the speed of the
isosurfaces:
Change:
#declare  F_valley_contour = function {exp(-(x*x*x*x/4))}
#declare  F_river_contour = function {exp(-(x*x*x*x*4096))}

to:
#declare  F_valley_contour = function {exp(-(pow(x,4)/4))}
#declare  F_river_contour = function {exp(-(pow(x,4)*4096))}

Every time you encounter a variable, even the same used several times in
a row, you need to do a search in the variable table. It does take more
time than to elevate to a power.

Whenever you have x*x use pow(x,2).
Do the same for y*y and z*z.

For the radiosity, it's beter to NOT use ambient_lights in the
global_settings, but to use #default{finish{ambient 0}}

Alain