POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Making Light... Not act like light.... : Re: Making Light... Not act like light.... Server Time
4 May 2024 06:58:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Light... Not act like light....
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 13 Feb 2010 21:12:45
Message: <4b775c1d$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/13/2010 2:30 PM, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>> Hmm. Actually, I had an odd thought a while back. Not variable
>>> "internal" ior, like some people would love to see, but variable surface
>>> ior. Use a map, just like a texture, bozo, etc., and perturb the angle
>>> of entry and exit, based on the variability of the pattern. Yeah, yeah,
>>> you could "sort of" do this by changing the shape of the object, but
>>> that isn't always optimal for some applications I can think of (such as
>>> if you where making a texture to use in something else, maybe). But, I
>>> do wonder what the result would end up looking like.
>>
>> I believe that was already possible, back when ior was part of the texture
>> block. Then POV-Ray added the new "interior" block which cannot be used in
>> a pattern.
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Knowledgebase:Language_Questions_and_Tips#Topic_30
Hmm. Couldn't you do a limited sort of this. Like.. use a pattern with a
known mathematical "shape", for the density, then computer where the ray
should end up, based on a computed curve, based on that pattern? It
wouldn't be perfect, obviously, but... for those patterns that could be
calculated in such a manner, it could come close. Mind, this is just
guessing...

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {