POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much? : Re: Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much? Server Time
17 Jun 2024 03:38:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 13 Feb 2010 21:07:25
Message: <4b775add@news.povray.org>
On 2/13/2010 1:39 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Where did I say they would make $10K a year?  I said make sure their
> needs are provided for.  Don't pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars
> a year.
>
> There are more ways than "cash in pocket" to pay someone for public
> service that don't compromise the integrity of the system.
>
> Jim

I think you are missing a major issue here. Its not just about what they
are payed. If you select for only those who are unbribable via
corporations, you *assume* you are going to end up with those that
support the people. All you have to do is look at the nutcases fighting
over who the *real* Republicans, or even *real* Tea Baggers, are, to see
what you could end up with instead. Many of these people truly believe
that their side holds the truth, the other side is all liars, and that
their tactics of harping on 1-2 key issues, to get elected, is a way to
"get around" all the evil roadblocks, media bias, and liberal control,
that might otherwise keep them from representing "the people". They
could live in a bloody hut in a frozen snow field, and they would
**still** imagine that the majority of Americans where anti-gay,
anti-liberal, bible thumping, creationists, and that 90% of everything
taught in history and civics classes are lies, unlike their
**certainty** that the constitution references God, and probably even
once had the Ten Commandments in it, before liberals hid this "fact".

What you, potentially, end up with, when you elect people who claim to
represent the people, with **no** other alterior motives, is complete
wackos. At least someone in the pocket of, say, a pharmaceutical
company, is **marginally** less likely to cut their own, and their
special interests, throats, by declaring that research on Stem Cells
should completely halt and biology classes should stop, even badly,
teaching about Evolution. Get someone whose only interests is either a)
believing, without cause, that the country **wants** that, or worse, b)
got elected by a state filled with idiots that actually think its true,
and... the result would be an even worse damn mess than we have now.

Certain assumptions are flat out naive. Jefferson's assertion that his
neighbors beliefs where not a threat to anyone, no matter what they
might be (while ignoring the obvious fact that the neighbors neighbor
might want to both rob and murder you), is one example. Another is this
assumption that you can "cure" corruption in governments. The very thing
you propose almost *guarantees* that are larger than normal number of
people will have ideas that are disengaged from reality, the public
interest, or anything else that might produce a useful result. And,
ironically, the very thing that could stop such people, outside
interests apposed to how those ideas might upset their wallets, is, by
nature of your solution, absent. Its certainly not going to be some
loser, who got into it to help people, isn't good at speeches, has no
audience presence, and never had a job, or stocks, etc., that conflicted
with doing their job. Such people are rare. The sort with personal
agenda, huge stage presence, and a total disregard for right and wrong,
in any sense, including the willingness to lie their way into power...
those are **way** less rare, since they spend most of their lives
practicing how to con people.

Bets on how many of which we would end up with?

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {