POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much? : Re: Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much? Server Time
17 Jun 2024 03:13:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Feb 2010 15:39:55
Message: <4b770e1b$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 05:50:31 -0700, somebody wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 20:44:13 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>
>> > You, you make them poor, it leads to corruption, not away from it.
>>
>> You remove the incentive for them to make a career out of it, and get
>> the people who *want* to do a real *public service*.
>
> What makes you think *I* want people that are so useless and naive that
> they cannot do anything else with their lives than politics as public
> service for free?

You are assuming that only useless and naive people who can't find other
work would be the only ones to do public service.

>> You're assuming that if you remove the money from it, the same people
>> would participate.
>
> No. You are assuming *better* people would participate if you pay them
> less. I'm afraid that doesn't quite work like that. If it did, it would
> mean we have built the modern society entirely bass ackwards.

I'm saying make sure that they're provided for.  I'm not suggesting they
be made homeless - but at the same time, if the average congresscritter
is making more than the people they ostensibly represent, then they
aren't actually *representing* those people very well, because they can't
*identify* with them.

So you take the money out of it entirely.  Make sure they have a place to
live (it doesn't have to be fancy, a studio apartment should suffice for
most), food to eat, basic health coverage (including catastrophic care),
and a way to do the people's work.

>> I don't think they would because those people are largely driven by a
>> profit motive.
>
> I definitely want people driven by the profit motive. I wouldn't trust
> anyone that's *not* driven by the profit motive, as it would likely mean
> they are either not smart enough or have a darker motive. It's a matter
> of regulating *where* that profit comes from. You want to make sure that
> the profit does not come under the table.

People driven by a profit motive will do what increases THEIR profit,
whether that helps the people they represent or not is inconsequential.

> If I can legitimately make $1M a year, why would I take a $10K bribe?

There are plenty who do.  Why?  Because they can.

> don't need it, and it's absolutely not worth risking getting caught and
> losing the $1M pay. But if I make $10K a year, that same $10K bribe
> starts to look much more appetizing.

Where did I say they would make $10K a year?  I said make sure their
needs are provided for.  Don't pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars
a year.

There are more ways than "cash in pocket" to pay someone for public
service that don't compromise the integrity of the system.

Jim