POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : memory problem with radiosity : Re: memory problem with radiosity Server Time
3 Jul 2024 16:35:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: memory problem with radiosity
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 12 Feb 2010 12:01:37
Message: <4b758971$1@news.povray.org>
On 12.02.10 17:31, Ken Willmott wrote:
> I ran to the store and purchased another 6GB of RAM, installed it and tried
> again with a total of 12GB. The same thing happened (only I was able to halt the
> process in time when 11.8GB was reached).
>
> Another strange thing... I noticed that there are many times when CPU
> utilization is alarmingly low. When I run version 3.6 I seen 100% utilization of
> one core. With 3.7b-35a it is bursty, and spends a lot of time running at 20%
> utilization. During those times, the load seems to be fairly evenly divided
> between the 4 cores.
>
> The scene in question isn't anything special, just a landscape with a few
> isosurfaces and planes. The isosurfaces do contain a lot of functions, which
> create a lot of divergent surface details. To be perfectly clear, when I run the
> same code without radiosity everything is fine. Also I ran the same code on
> version 3.6 with radiosity turned on and everything is fine.
>
> Ideas?

Radiosity, an experimental feature, changed from 3.6 to 3.7, so you may need
to adjust your parameters. And it is, sadly, not uncommon for Windows to
crash when it runs out of memory.

You also did not mention that you are running a 64-bit Windows and the
64-bit version of POV-Ray. If you are not running both as 64-bit versions,
POV-Ray will never get more than 3 GB of memory, regardless of the amount of
RAM you install. This would certainly explain your low CPU usage, as it
implies your system is spending most of its time with swapping.

	Thorsten