POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL : Re: The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:17:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Feb 2010 11:25:34
Message: <4b72ddfe@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Sabrina Kilian <ski### [at] vtedu> wrote:
>> If all you want is SQLite under an MIT license, have someone who lives
>> in a country that recognizes public domain just copy and relicense under
>> the MIT terms.
>
>   Can works in the public domain be re-copyrighted?

Sort of.  You can take Shakespeare and publish it and claim a copyright on
that particular arrangement of words on the page (e.g., correspondence to
words with page numbers, illustrations, etc) but you can't re-copyright the
actual text, so I could publish new Shakespeare.  You can take a photograph
of some public-domain painting and copyright the photograph, for example.

But you can't copyright the public domain item. Why?  Because I can make
copies of the public domain version without looking at your copy. You might
copyright your photo of the statue, but I can make an identical photo of the
statue without ever having seen your photo.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do