POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL : Re: The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 10 Feb 2010 05:31:24
Message: <4b728afc$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I'm speechless, really. Is this some kind of war against countries which
> don't recognize PD?
>
> http://www.hwaci.com/cgi-bin/license-step1

As is listed, half the reasons this occurs for them is that the user
wants a legal contract and not public domain code. Contracts carry, in
most countries, an extra weight in law that a license is not yet
recognized to have. Because of this, a contract has to be a fair
exchange of value.

If all you want is SQLite under an MIT license, have someone who lives
in a country that recognizes public domain just copy and relicense under
the MIT terms.