POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do you convert POV-Ray CSG shapes into other 3D formats? : Re: How do you convert POV-Ray CSG shapes into other 3D formats? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do you convert POV-Ray CSG shapes into other 3D formats?
From: Alain
Date: 9 Feb 2010 14:18:59
Message: <4b71b523@news.povray.org>

>> However, I have never heard of anyone actually going through the trouble
>> of implementing the marching triangles algorithm for POV-Ray. So no such
>> luck there.
>
> I started to implement it in POV from some paper, but when different
> parts of the mesh needed to join back up again it never worked properly.
> I couldn't figure out from the paper how to fix this, so gave up.
> Attached is about as good as I got meshing a sphere using the algorithm
> (the next few steps after this started to screw up big time).

You try to connect each points to 6 other points.

You need to allow points to connect to less than 6 neigours. For the
sphere, some points only connect to 5 others. Fore some other shapes, it
can go down to 4 or 3 points. In some cases, a point may need to connect
to 7 or even 8 or more points.

Try setting some angle or distance thresshold.

Alain