POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Probability question : Re: Probability question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Probability question
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 9 Feb 2010 11:42:04
Message: <4b71905c@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Oh, I see. I thought it was going to say something more insightful than
> that. (How the hell do you compute a limit or an integral anyway?)

Ahh, no nothing more insightful, just that it did address the major
points you were worrying about.

Also, I'll assume you mean "how do you numerically compute a limit or
integral?":

If it's a limit, just compute it for numbers as close as possible to the
limiting value (or really really big numbers if the limiting value is
infinite).  The closer (or the bigger) the number you compute it for the
closer your answer will be.

If it's an integral do something like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_sum

> But you can't compute an infinite product.

If the product converges (which it does, otherwise you couldn't define a
number/function with it) then you can by definition get an arbitrarily
good approximation by computing the product of the first n terms for a
large enough n.

You might want to read up on these, they're pretty much fundamental to
all of calculus and many many other ways of defining things over the
real (or complex) numbers (Taylor expansions, Fourier series, numeric
optimization and root finding, etc.):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_(mathematics)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_of_a_sequence

Out of curiosity have you ever had a calculus class?  I'd think that
these things should have been covered there, and it makes me wonder if
maybe the UK curriculum is somewhat different that what I'm used to.