POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Strength : Re: Strength Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strength
From: scott
Date: 9 Feb 2010 09:58:00
Message: <4b7177f8@news.povray.org>
> I meant more that I wouldn't have expected to be able to just completely
> disregard 3/4 the weight of the object just because I'm only looking at
> one wheel.

Why not?  A car has 4 wheels, the weight is (roughly) spread evenly between
the 4 wheels.  If you want something to support one wheel it need only
support 1/4 of the total weight, plus a bit for safety.

> So it's probably rated to 5 tonnes or something.

As I said, it seems most common ones are rated to 2 ton for the pair, so
that would be 1000 kg per ramp/wheel.  That should cater for most normal
passenger cars, plus quite a lot to spare.

>> 0.2 mm or thereabouts.
>
> ...my God. You can make metal that thin?? o_O

You've seen aluminium foil haven't you?  That's probably 10x thinner.  You
just force it through a pair of rollers that are very close together.