POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New car : Re: New car Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New car
From: scott
Date: 9 Feb 2010 03:19:16
Message: <4b711a84@news.povray.org>
> http://www.dragtimes.com/images_dyno/8792-2004-Mazda-RX-8-Dyno.jpg

Very interesting, I tried to look but couldn't find one.

> Note that the measuring starts at 3krpm and hits the maximum 125 ft-lbs
> (according to Google ~170Nm) at 6krpm and continues to 9krpm. As a
> comparison, my 1.9TiD tops 320Nm somewhere around 1700rpm, hax max hp
> (150) at 4krpm and hits a limiter at somewhere around 5krpm - so it's
> stopping the pull where RX-8 is just beginning.

Mine's similar: (the grey line, not the blue one!)

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/BMW20D177bhp.pdf

The main point is that at around 3500 rpm our diesel cars have 3x the torque
available as the RX8, and at 2000 rpm it's probably 5x or higher.  That is a
huge amount of "feeling" for when you try to accelerate at low RPMs, the RX8
is going to feel *really* slow in these situations.  Of course in the RX8
you can change down 2 or 3 gears to get similar levels of acceleration, I
guess it depends how often you feel like using a lot of power :-D