POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New car : Re: New car Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New car
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 8 Feb 2010 11:36:14
Message: <4b703d7e$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> So what you're saying is, it won't drive away from the curb quickly?
>
> No, because if you're trying to do a fast start you can just give it
> more rpms before engaging the clutch.  What I'm saying is that to get
> the most performance from the car you need to keep the rpms very high,
> this means only changing up a gear when you get near the redline, and
> probably changing down 2 or even 3 gears if you decide you suddenly want
> to overtake someone (where normally you might only change down 1 gear).

Or you can have a turbocharged engine and you don't need to change down ;).

> It has what is known as a very narrow power band, and outside of that
> band it sucks.  A more "driveable" engine will have a more equal spread
> of power across all rpms, and thus might seem more powerful when driving
> around town, even if in a race it would be slower.

Yep.

http://www.dragtimes.com/images_dyno/8792-2004-Mazda-RX-8-Dyno.jpg

Note that the measuring starts at 3krpm and hits the maximum 125 ft-lbs
(according to Google ~170Nm) at 6krpm and continues to 9krpm. As a
comparison, my 1.9TiD tops 320Nm somewhere around 1700rpm, hax max hp
(150) at 4krpm and hits a limiter at somewhere around 5krpm - so it's
stopping the pull where RX-8 is just beginning. Totally different
engines to drive and the RX-8 beats my 9-3 easily from the line, if the
driver just knows how to drive it (rev it high).

-Aero