POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Probability question : Re: Probability question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Probability question
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Feb 2010 07:26:48
Message: <4b700308$1@news.povray.org>
>> Wikipedia claims that for large N, the binomial distribution
>> approximates the normal distribution.
>
> Yes, it seems my parameter values fit in ok for this approximation to be
> pretty accurate.

Central Limit Theorum FTW! :-D

>> I presume it's relatively easy to work out the inverse function for a
>> normal distribution...
>
> Excel has a built in function to do this, so this looks like the way to go.

Cool.

So are you *really* trying to estimate coin flips? Or is there some more
complex problem you're trying to solve here?

Also... I'm impressed that I managed to find an actual solution to this
using nothing but Wipikedia and an incomplete understanding of probability.

PS. Apparently Wolfram Alpha can plot all these distributions for you if
you type in something suggestive like "binomial distribution, n=100, p=0.2".