POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much? : Re: Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 04:03:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Feb 2010 12:30:19
Message: <4b6ef8ab@news.povray.org>
On 2/7/2010 9:33 AM, andrel wrote:
>> But if I make $10K a year, that same $10K bribe starts
>> to look much more appetizing.
>
> Politicians here earn about 100K enough for very comfortable living but
> not so much that we only get people that are motivated by money. Just
> being motivated by money has too much danger of corruption. That starts
> during the campaign because getting elected is of utmost financial
> importance, and after being corrupted things will go on as usual while
> in parliament/senate. Second problem is that you get a very small social
> subgroup, which is not good for democracy. People earning 1M are too
> often too much trying to earn money and making sure their friends also
> get a 'fair' share. You get legislation aimed at increasing the wealth
> of the current wealthy and aiming at diminishing opportunities of those
> that are now less well off.

Point is, if I can make $10K a year, and *still* somehow get another
$10K donated for "campaign money", or other projects, out of which I can
funnel some cash for myself, you haven't solved anything. Its not about
whether someone makes $10K a year, or $10 million a year, its whether or
not various other interests can get by with funneling as much, or more,
to them other ways, while they are there. And, in the US at least, its
been the trend for the politicos to arrange things so this *is*
possible, to support reelection campaigns, pet projects, and various
crazy assed revisionist/activist goals they have, which ignore the
people, in favor of what ever schizo idea they (or their
church/party/secret_cult/personal_business_associates/family/all_of_the_above
happen to hold).

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {