POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Illumination : Re: Illumination Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Illumination
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 7 Feb 2010 06:25:44
Message: <4b6ea338$1@news.povray.org>
>> So there are effecient processes for turning external energy into
>> electricity, and turning electricity into energy such as muscle
>> contraction.
>
> Muscle contractions are powered by chemical reactions.

True - although muscle contraction is a cascade of chemical reactions
triggered by electricity. Perhaps a better example would be the human
brain, which kicks out enough power to be measurable from outside the
human body. (Or those electric eels...)

>> I'm guessing bioluminescense is usually driven either by the stored
>> energy of the reactants themselves [which probably requires some huge
>> long enzyme chain to resynthesize], or by a carrier molecule like AMP
>> [which can't be directly synthesized from electricity in any obvious
>> way].
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luciferase#Chemical_reaction

Right. So oxidation of a molecule causes it to glow, and an engyme
catalyses this reaction. Presumably if you wanted to perpetuate this
reaction indefinitely you'd need a way to un-oxidise the product...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/