POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Illumination : Re: Illumination Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Illumination
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Feb 2010 22:00:13
Message: <4b6cdb3d$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/5/2010 11:11 AM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Bioluminescence is simply not suitable as a replacement for
>> light-bulbs because it is based on chemical and biological reactions.
>> Imagine a light-bulb that must be fed, and that literally dies if it

> Nonesense.
>
> The chemical reaction behind it is apparently understood, since genetic
> engineers apparently use biolunimescence all the time as a marker during

> chemicals does not. At worst the chemicals just stop working.

Never seen light sticks? That is bioluminescence in a nut shell, and
they make tons of them. Someone my dad knows from his military days
invented the damn things and I got the visit their lab one time, when he
visited them briefly, while going to talk to someone else in the place
about something.

> A far more serious problem is that the reaction is driven by chemical
> rather than electrical energy. If you can find a way around that you've
> got a viable product.

This is why its not usable. And, yeah, if you could.. Problem is, most
"reversible" processes of the sort require state changes in the
chemicals, and more energy to "recharge" them. A good example are those
pouch things you can buy for reusable warmers. You heat them until the
crystal structure breaks down, then let them cool at room temperature,
then when you introduce enough of a shock, using a metal chip you bend
in it, it starts releasing all the stored heat. Doing so causes it to
crystalize again, and turn hard. When it stops making heat, you
boil/microwave it again, which stores up energy, and you are ready to go
again. Well.. At least until enough moisture evaporates out of the
plastic bag its in to throw the chemical balance off, and it stops
properly decrystalizing when heated. Pretty much... Anything using
electrical energy is pretty much going to have to use a non-biologic
source. The reason being a) biologic ones won't last recharge/reuse for
long, or at high temperatures, and b) there are no known forms that can
react to electrical energy in such a manner, never mind efficiently, by
compared to semi-conductors.

Note however, there are the same class of LEDs used in the light sabers
I mentioned in the other thread. Those, with a proper disperser, might
a) put out enough, b) do so without blinding you if you look at them,
hence the dispersion, and c) not need a fan. Maybe...

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();