POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New car : Re: Manual mayhem Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Manual mayhem
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 5 Feb 2010 14:57:01
Message: <4b6c780d$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Once upon a time, some cars actually didn't *have* seatbelts, and so
> you'd have to go fit them. But yeah, today that doesn't happen much. My
> point is really that you now cannot modify almost any aspect of the car
> because there's so much high-tech stuff in there.

Well yes. I guess they've been standard since the 70's.

> Sure is! I guess it got five stars from NCAP for a reason. (That would
> also explain the huge door pillars that obscure the view of the road...)

Well yes. It makes it possible for you to stay alive and get hurt badly
for the rest of your life from the same speed you would've simply died
on your old car :p.

> It just means that if you want to make any modifications at all, you
> have to go through Renault, which limits choice and increases the price.
> (Not to mention that we don't *have* Renault dealers in England...)

Not necessarily, you can achieve the same safety level by doing things
yourself than with your old car. But you don't actually want that,
'cause you can get drastically better safety level by doing things right.

> My car doesn't *have* a warranty anyway. ;-)

Not anymore. It had when it was new.

>> That's probably in the service program, right?
>
> Probably. If I had one.

The service company has one, you can ask them for it. They'll also know
what to do when you'll take your car to be serviced.

>> If you have a properly working automatic wiper option, you simply don't
>> need to touch the lever yourself except for some rare wipe-once
>> -situations - just keep it in the automatic position.
>
> Doesn't work like that. Like I say, automatic seems to just mean "random
> speed". Doesn't appear to be related to the road conditions in any way.
> (Although I presume if it were to rain really hard, the wipers would
> speed up.) The long and short of it is that if I find that I can't see,
> I need the wipers to wipe NOW, not in 20 seconds' time.

Like I said, *properly working* automatic wipers work like that.

This for sure is the automation and not the speed-adjustment you mentioned?

> If I *ever* get a nice girl to sit in my car, I'm not sure they'll be
> any picnic stuff happening. 0;-)

Why not? Girls like picnics.

-Aero