POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ocaml : Re: Ocaml Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ocaml
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Feb 2010 14:54:52
Message: <4b6c778c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>   integer * string
> which seems a rather perverse choice.

Cartesian product of integers and strings.  I'm not sure what a "sum type"
would be.

> instead of "(True, 5)"? It would be clearer...)

Wait till you get to python, where the tuple constructor is actually the
comma, the parens are optional, and you try to figure out how to write a
one-element tuple literal, or the empty tuple.

> Haskell makes the rather illogical choice of using "--" as the start
> marker for a comment.

Common in a lot of other languages like SQL and Ada. FWIW.

> Ocaml uses the even stranger choice of "(* ... *)".

Which is Pascal for comments, if your keyboard (punched cards) don't have
curly braces. FWIW.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do