POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much? : Re: Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much? Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:57:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why do Americans hate Barack Obama so much?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Feb 2010 22:44:14
Message: <4b6b940e$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/4/2010 6:05 PM, somebody wrote:
> "Jim Henderson"<nos### [at] nospamcom>  wrote in message
>
>> But I think the real solution would be to return political positions to
>> being an unpaid (and cannot-accept-gifts under ANY ANY ANY circumstances)
>> positions.  Give them a studio apartment in DC and a stipend, but never
>> let them forget that they work for the *people*.  Take away the salaries,
>> the high-end health plans, and all of the benefits.  Make it truly a
>> public service that they fulfill.
>
> Don't you want the exact opposite? Pay them through the roof (I'm thinking
> in the millions) so they will be less tempted to take "gifts" (bribes) and
> much more to lose by doing so. Then send packs of hungry lawyers after them
> to uncover any wrongdoing.

You, you make them poor, it leads to corruption, not away from it. The
#1 thing causing problems right now is that companies and private
groups, and sometimes people, funnel large amounts into electing
someone, then expect them to do what they want, usually by bribing them
with more money to help with X pet project, or the next re-election.
Needless to say, a recent supreme court decision is just going to make
this stupid idiocy worse. The last thing you need is to make it a field
that only crazies and the corrupt want to even try to get into, because
it pays shit to work at it.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {