POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New car : Re: New car Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New car
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 4 Feb 2010 13:34:09
Message: <4b6b1321@news.povray.org>
>> In the category of "I realise nobody actually gives a damn but I'm going
>> to tell you all anyway": I have a new car.
>
> Me too!
> http://www.zbxt.net/~aero/saab/sc_front.jpg
> http://www.zbxt.net/~aero/saab/sc_back.jpg

...it's grey.

> I doubt it's not turbocharged.

Really?

The turbo version apparently generates an extra 30 BHP.

>> - The clutch doesn't enguage until you completely remove your foot from
>> the pedal. You can lift the pedal all the way from the floor to almost
>> fully released, and you're still not moving. Only in the last 5mm or so
>> of travel do you get any power to the wheels.
>
> Traditional French clutch. All the French cars I've drive have had a
> clutch like that. It's something I've never got used to.

My previous car (exact same brand and model, just the previous revision)
had a clutch which behaved normally. (Although it was starting to wear
out TBH. One more reason to get rid of it!)

>> I still haven't found a way to lock the car yet. Presumably if I walk
>> far enough away, it will lock. (But I'll be far away, so I have no way
>> of verifying this.)
>
> Try pushing all the buttons! :D

Turns out the button on the door handle will lock the door - if the key
is in range.

>> (Which, considering that the clutch doesn't work properly, isn't
>> much fun.)
>
> It does. It's just French.

[Insert joke here about the legendary tendancy of the French to not work.]

>> - It does not appear to be possible to turn the headlights on or off.
>> They just turn themselves on or off when they feel like it. (Presumably
>> too many French people decided to drive off in the middle of the night
>> with no lights on or something?)
>
> That's actually a good thing. Light automation rocks, when you get used
> to it you'll hate the German cars without it :-).

This morning I drove to work on a dark, cloudy day - but the computer
still decided I didn't need my lights on. *I* would have kept them on
anyway...

>> The wipers don't work very well (but then, they never do).
>
> Wait, what? They never do? In the history of me and cars I've had *one*
> car with *one* problem on wipers and that was a loose nut on a 14-year
> old car!

The wipers leave little streaks behind at exactly eye-height [but only
on the driver's side].

The rear wiper only sweeps 10% of the screen in the first place [because
it's conical], and do almost nothing to clear even the area being swept.
And, unlike any other car I've seen, driving at speed seems to somehow
*attract* water to the screen, rather than repel it.

>> I couldn't say whether the 20% bigger engine makes it go any faster,
>
> If it doesn't, it's crap :).

Well, yes. ;-)

So far I haven't been able to climb above 35 MPG - so that's 10 MPG
lower than my old car. :-(

>> since I'm constantly in the wrong gear. (I've yet to figure out how to
>> access 6th gear. Every time I try I get 4th instead.) Selecting reverse
>> is a tad tricky too. I guess I'll get used to it.
>
> You will, you just need to find the 6th first to know how to get there.

Selecting reverse requires you to pull the little ring. But, unlike my
old car, it's at the opposite end of the stick, which keeps confusing me...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/