POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New car : Re: New car Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New car
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 4 Feb 2010 13:18:49
Message: <4b6b0f89@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> scott wrote:
>>> However... is it a 2.0 T 16V or a 2.0 VVT?
>>>
>>> The documentation from the shop says it's the VVT. The stickers on
>>> the car itself just say "2.0 16V".

I think the VVT means variable valve timing.

>> If you have the turbo you'd probably be able to hear it, speed up to
>> about 3000 rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear, then take your foot off the
>> throttle, you should be able to hear it making a faint high pitch
>> whining noise.

Also roll up to 3krpm and floor it - if it's a turbo, it accelerates
significantly better than the old one did. And I do mean clearly
significantly.

> From what I've seen, if a car has turbo, it constantly makes that
> annoying whistling sound.

No, if a car has a broken turbo, it may do that. A good turbo can also
whistle on certain occasions, but not constantly.

> Also, if you floor it, nothing happens for 4
> seconds, and *then* it takes off like a rocket.

No, if a car has significantly too big turbo and a crappy engine control
system, it lags 4 seconds with nothing happening.

Go ahead and give Saab 9-3 TTiD or BMW 123d a test-drive. They both have
*two* turbos, still no whistle nor mentionable lag.

-Aero