POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL : Re: The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL
From: somebody
Date: 4 Feb 2010 03:31:07
Message: <4b6a85cb$1@news.povray.org>
news:4b6a39b1@news.povray.org...

> > >   I understand this to mean that if I had lied they could perhaps have
> > > answered my questions free of charge.

> > Wouldn't the advice then be inapplicable to your case?

>   The LGPL terms don't change depending on whether the software using
> the LGPL library is proprietary/commercial or not. It applies equally to
> all software.

Your question was:

<quote>
1) If I understand section 4 of the license (version 3) correctly, for
a closed-source program to comply with the LGPL when it uses a library
distributed under that license, it's enough for the program to use a [...]
</quote>

If you claim to be an open-source developer, the clarificiation they provide
would not be for a "...closed-source program to comply..." but for an
"...open-source program to comply...", unless your wording is superfluous.