POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL : Re: The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The FSF refuses to answer my questions about LGPL
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 3 Feb 2010 21:43:37
Message: <4b6a3459@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> 1) If I understand section 4 of the license (version 3) correctly, for
> a closed-source program to comply with the LGPL when it uses a library
> distributed under that license, it's enough for the program to use a
> dynamically loadable version of the library (such as a .dll file in
> Windows or a .so file in Linux), which it distributes with the program
> binaries (as this allows a user to create a modified version of the
> library and have the program use it, as long as the library stays
> interface compatible).
>
> This is fine when distributing eg. a Windows or Linux program. What
> happens, however, if the program is for a platform where the user
> cannot easily modify any dynamically loadable library which comes with
> the program, such as the case with many hand-held devices (such as the
> iPhone or the PlayStation Portable)? Or to put it in simpler words:
> Can an iPhone or PlayStation Portable program use an LGPL library?

LGPLv2, yes. But the *main* purpose of the (L)GPLv3 is that if, for example,
the device only runs software that is digitally signed by a certain party,
then if you give me a GPLv3 binary to run on that device, then you not only
have to give me the source code. You also need to give me any needed
cryptographic keys so I can sign my modified versions (without that
signature, the device would refuse to run my modified software; so I'm not
really having the freedom to modify it).

The Apple terms of service say the license of the software can't have a
requirement to give such cryptographic keys.

"You further represent and warrant to Apple that the licensing terms
governing Your Application, or governing any third party code or FOSS
included in Your Application, will be consistent with and not conflict with
the digital signing or content protection aspects of the Program or any of
the terms, conditions or requirements of the Program or this Agreement. In
particular, such licensing terms will not purport to require Apple (or its
agents) to disclose or make available any of the keys, authorization codes,
methods, procedures, data or other information related to the Security
Solution, digital signing or digital rights management mechanisms utilized
as part of the Program."

Even though it's written broadly, this could be considered a *direct* attack
on the new "features" of the GPLv3.

In short, the GPL *version 3* (and not version 2) and the AppStore terms of
use are explicitly incompatible. You won't have to worry much about
violating the LGPLv3 library license by putting your app in the AppStore,
because *Apple won't let your app into the AppStore* if it has GPLv3 code.

If the library you want to use is actually LGPLv2, the situation on the
iPhone would change completely. Is the library LGPLv3, or did you just
mention v3 to make sure everyone was looking at the same thing when you
referred to a section number?