POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do you convert POV-Ray CSG shapes into other 3D formats? : Re: How do you convert POV-Ray CSG shapes into other 3D formats? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do you convert POV-Ray CSG shapes into other 3D formats?
From: Warp
Date: 3 Feb 2010 17:27:35
Message: <4b69f857@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> You are not the first one to think of that.
> There are macros that can convert most objects into a mesh equivalent.
> The most notable is one to convert an isosurface into a mesh.

  AFAIK the best algorithm to convert an isosurface into a mesh is the
so-called marching triangles algorithm (it's better than other tesselation
algorithms because it is able to create more and smaller triangles in high
curvature places and less and larger triangles in low-curvature places, and
avoids extremely thin triangles; I think it also handles sharp edges much
better than other algorithms, although I'm not completely sure of this).
The same algorithm could probably be used with more or less success with
CSG objects as well (although they have some pitfalls that isosurfaces
don't have, as CSG objects need to be traced, which introduces its own
problems, while isosurfaces just need to be evaluated).

  However, I have never heard of anyone actually going through the trouble
of implementing the marching triangles algorithm for POV-Ray. So no such
luck there.

--
                                                          - Warp