POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why we have juries : Re: Why we have juries Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why we have juries
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Feb 2010 11:10:09
Message: <4b699fe1$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> I think that's because the judgments are financial rather
> than, say, prison

I always thought that was bogus, myself. The original distinction in the
amount of evidence needed was based on the fact that if it's the government
making the prosecution's case, they have basically unlimited funds and
power. In a civil case between (say) two corporations, each corporation is
spending their own money to hire lawyers, figure out evidence, etc, so it's
more balanced.

The idea that the government prefers to fine the crap out of you instead of
actually having to prove their case seems wrong to me.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do