POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : caustics and fog (photon mapping with scattering media) : Re: caustics and fog (photon mapping with scattering media) Server Time
1 Jul 2024 06:03:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: caustics and fog (photon mapping with scattering media)
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 2 Feb 2010 16:32:40
Message: <4b6899f8$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   I made a minimal scene which reproduces the phenomenon.
>
>   Comment out the box, and the caustic highlight appears. With the box there's
> no caustic. If the box has a transmit value smaller than 1, the caustic appears
> on the top surface of the box but doesn't go through.
>
>   I'm not sure why this happens.

According to the documentation, pass_through does not have
an effect on photons which have already hit their target. You
probably need to specify "refraction on" to get it to work.

Apart from that, I don't think I would expect photons to affect
media if the container object is tagged with pass_through ;)